Struck by lightning in Sweden


The Munrow Phenomena...



I was 9 (I'm pretty sure this was July 1971) and on tour in Sweden with the Finchley Children's Music Group, an excellent children's choir.

We performed in a church somewhere one afternoon (possibly in ?stersund), and our choirmaster, Richard Andrewe, offered to take anyone who wanted to come along to David Munrow's concert in the same church that evening. that was my first introduction to renaissance music, and my first introduction to David Munrow, a mad, charismatic pixie who captivated his audience (and me) and played amazing music.

As soon as I got back to England I got his LP The Medieval Sound and I was hooked for life. I've since been a crumhorn player for a bit (though I've gravitated to percussion in the end), and have developed a lifelong love of all kinds of bagpipes through David's introductions.

I was an avid listener to The Pied Piper - I hope that some/all of that recorded material has not been lost and will be released one day. the best week ever was Outdoor Music, some bits of which I have on an old cassette - a woman singing to her cows, and someone playing a tune on a pear leaf...

I almost got to meet David - my father, who did work for the BBC sometimes, was tentatively trying to arrange for me to meet him when we heard about his death.

In my list of top 10 happy pieces of music is a piece for chalemeau by David from the Eddie Mercx film. I've often wondered what he might have gone on to achieve. In any case, I'm very grateful for my opportunities to listen to and watch him in action.

- padmavyuha

PS It is also an ambition of mine to learn to play the baroque rackett at some point (if my hands are big enough!)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 10:17:40 AM by padmavyuha »



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Performance Practice of David Munrow and the Early Music Consort of London : Medieval Music in the 1960s and 1970s

Overview of the Munrow Archive

Welcome to the Early Music Legend....