Inspired by "La Morisque"

Richard Jones noted renaissance viol maker had this to say in an interview.

How did you come upon early music ? Who inspired you ?

In the 1970s I went to Dumfries to see one of Ashley Hutchings' groups ? I think it was the Albion Band ? and there was this wonderful mixture of folk music and rock music. I was listening to Radio 3 one morning and one of the tunes they played I recognised from the Ashley Hutchings concert. The announcer said it was a dance from Susato,'La Morisque', played by The Early Music Consort of London directed by David Munrow. There was this sound of shawms and sackbuts, I thought it was stunning, there was a texture there that was far more exciting, more colourful than any of the smooth classical sound of trombones and oboes. I caught the early music bug and was so lucky. Within weeks of hearing that record I met a man in Edinburgh who was making a set of regals for Christopher Hogwood who played on that record, so very quickly I was drawn into this exciting world which in the 1970s had a vibrancy that has matured now. I wanted to have recorders, crumhorns and shawms, mostly wind instruments.

Ref. VdGS Newsletter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Performance Practice of David Munrow and the Early Music Consort of London : Medieval Music in the 1960s and 1970s

Overview of the Munrow Archive

Welcome to the Early Music Legend....